Monday, March 14, 2011

The Good Good "The Wants and The Want Nots" CD (self released/2005)


  1. Here is a band I really miss a lot as they were the most fun, energetic band I have ever seen. They were around since 2001 but I never heard of  them until 2004. As far as I can tell they disbanded in 2007. I was first exposed to them when I went to go see my buddies band United States play their first show, and The Good Good happened to play later that night. I was blown away. Their music grooved and they were capable of being very experimental while at the core writing just really smart pop music. To me it was a cross between Mt Gigantic, The Delta 5, Half Japanese, Sonic Youth, lullabies and songs that children would sing playing hopscotch or some other school yard activity. They mixed frantic rhythms with a strong sense of melody and harmony that was propelled by discordant guitars, hypnotic bass lines, driving drums and miasma of sounds including keyboard, triangle, megaphone, field recordings, etc.  The Good Good displayed a high level of musicianship and inventiveness but never  taking themselves too seriously. I was fortunate enough to see them a few times, and even one of my short lived bands ( Birds of Prey a Swans/GSYBE esque band that me and few dudes from Guadalupe, Empty Silos Echo War, Yes Sensei, and Latterman did briefly) played our one and and only show with them in a basement in Northport. For a spell I was even trading letters and music back and forth with Good Good guitarist/vocalist Natalja Kent. 
This is one of the releases, the band's 2005 self released cdep The Wants and The Want Nots, that Natalja sent my way. The packaging and artwork is so striking that the picture I have provided doesn't even doesn't even come close to serving it justice. The cd is housed in a quad folded circular like piece of construction paper that has intricate printed artwork on both sides and there is stencil image around the edges while the hand image is painted in metallic gold paint. And pretty much every Good Good record I own (which now in looking at the complete discography courtesy of Harlan Records isn't as many as I thought I had) has incredible artwork/packaging, particularly their lp A Fem Era. I am gonna wrap this post up so I can go adjust my record want list with more Good Good releases!

The Good Good discography:
6 Song Demo cd-r (2001)
10 song Demo cd-r (2001)
Demo Mini cd-r (2002)
split 12 inch w/ Cha Cha Cha (2003)
Giver cd-r (2004)
A Fem Era 12 inch/cassette (Harlan/self released,2005)
The Wants and The Want Nots cdep (2005)
All the Days Are Numbered So comp CD (Harlan, 2005)
split 12 inch w/ Chocolat Billy (2006)
split 7 inch w/ Querent (2006)
split 12 inch w/ Api Uiz (2006)
Furrows cd (Menlo Park, 2006)
Nerds, Birds, Turds Live D.U.M.B.O cd-r (2006)
split 7 inch w/ Japanther (Altin Village, 2006)

The Good Good The Wants and The Want Nots track listing
1. Silhouette
2. Clouds
3. All the Voices
4. Paper, Metal, Marble
5. Flies
6. Three Voices

No comments:

Post a Comment